Friday, May 9, 2008

Basic Rolled Cookie Dough


This is the same recipe I've used since I was a kid for those occasional fun holiday cut-out cookies. I've now made both a regular unbleached all purpose flour and a whole wheat version. Both work well. I think I like the whole wheat better for taste and aroma. (It makes the butter even more buttery!) I like the way the paler unbleached white flour makes the milk bottle cookie pictured here so, well, milky looking! There is also a whole white wheat flour more readily available these days that is good to use for pastries. I'll be trying that, also. And now, on to our regularly scheduled recipe...

Basic Sugar Cookies

Cream: 1/2 c. unsalted butter
3/4 c. sugar

Add: 1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Beat well.

Add: 1 T cream or milk


Sift together: 1 1/2 c flour (unbleached All-Purpose, Whole Wheat, or any mixture thereof)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Optional: nutmeg, cinnamon, or other sweet spice (not pictured)

Stir into the butter mixture until well blended. Wrap up and chill until firm. (Make ahead for the next day-- great.)

When it's time to bake, set the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, roll out dough, cut into desired shapes, place on lightly greased pan, or pan lined with baking parchment. Bake until golden (look at the bottom of the cookie if you can to determine doneness.) My recipe says about 8 min. but I'll be honest that I haven't done a good job of timing this. I suspect it may be a little longer, but be sure to keep a close eye on them. I'll amend this with a more proper baking time later.








COMING SOON-- The Lemon Cookie and the Chocolate cookie



Also upcoming:



a Monstrous Potato



No comments: